Monday, December 4, 2006

grounded... for but a moment

The day was gone before it started... spent with the catch-ups of a week abroad. I did the norms... paid the bills, took care of some band business and grabbed an hour in front of the picture box. Some of the band met for several hours to write for our new record... an event that until the last twenty minutes was an underwhelming experience (for me at least). I was planning to write in more detail concerning that session but felt my constant obsession w/ the band needed a break.
So now I move onto a subject that may appear random to previous postings but is very relevant to my current surroundings. I am presently on the road working for an organization that I have the utmost respect for; with a musician I grew up listening to and in very fragmented conversations have come to respect.
Now for those not familiar with the "road experience" I will explain some important sidebars that will make my rambling a little more cohesive.
First, you're usually placed on a bus (according to your position on the tour) with 8 to 12 strangers for a period of 4 to 6 weeks (longer or shorter depending the tour). The buses are split up between "artist/band" and the "crew"... which can make for a long run depending on the personalities that share your "home away from home". These runs (as they're called) are usually set up on a 4 on 3 off scenario. This means the tour has a show 4 nights of the week and you're traveling or home the other 3.
Now living on a bus has its perks as well as its hardships... I personally love life on the bus. All the comforts of home... satellite TV, internet, your own bunk, 2 lounges, a kitchen (fully stocked, if the you're on a good tour), a bathroom and several other amenities. The "hardships" depend more on your bunkmates than the condition of the bus (unless you are on a NS crew bus... but that's a whole other story).
that said... I am more interested in discussing the "small dick syndrome" or presence of "territorial pissing" (that comes with most tours) as apposed to painting for you a "Martha Stewart" picture of the interiors of a bus.
Each tour usually contains one or more persons who insist on asserting their "power" or "position" by means of (what I like to call) "asshole-itis". This "itis" allows them to answer any question with a "you should already know the answer" response... talk to you in a demeaning tone or simply make your experience on said tour less enjoyable. These people should not be hated nor bashed... they should be pitied. From my experience this type of attitude suggests insecurities that are much deeper than the current situation they are in. (I am no expert... just a quiet observer for several years).
I've been lucky to not come in contact with much of this disease... I have however been the "ear" to many disgruntled mates who continue to encounter these pathetic people. Final thought: Is life really that bad? We (they) allow ourselves to trivialize life when in fact... if you have the opportunity to "tour" for a living, you are truly blessed. no 9 to 5, free meals, comfortable surrounding (in most cases), better pay (in comparison to the workload of other jobs) and the chance to see/experience the country. Sure there are hardships (time away from family) and the sense of really not having any privacy... but come on... is life really that bad. Let's ask a child from a third world country... I'm sure the rigors of the road would be a welcome escape.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well duh.... shouldn't you already know all that stuff?? Well put. Of corse our bus was the best.

Anonymous said...

1- well said.
2- chissy, eh?

melanie said...

aaaahahahaha....
I SO know who you are talking about here. And I'm SO glad I'm not out there for this one...